What To Expect
Have you been curious about kombucha brewing, but intimidated to try it? Maybe it seemed complicated or out of your skillset? 🧐 Fear not: kombucha is simple to make, and requires no special gear! 🙌🏻
Join me in this virtual class where I'll break down the basics of kombucha brewing, plus teach you some tasty recipes. By the end of the session you'll have a jar of kombucha brewing away in your kitchen. 🥂 No experience needed, this class is 100% newbie friendly! 😊
Kombucha is bubbling with beneficial probiotic bacteria, vitamins, and minerals. 💕 It's a great alternative to alcohol and caffeine, and is excellent for DIY cocktail and mocktail making! 🍹 Why not dive in and see what all the hullabaloo is about?! 😎
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 glass jar (2L or bigger) OR a 1 glass drink dispenser with plastic valve (2L or bigger)
- 1L glass bottle with swing-top lid
- 1/4 cup of raw cane sugar
- 2 bags of black tea
- 1L water
- 1 kombucha SCOBY (see below for where to obtain)
- Cloth or paper towel
*SCOBY stands for "Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria Yeast", it's a jelly-like flat disc that contains the bacteria & yeasts that transform the sweetened tea into kombucha! 🤗 (We'll cover that more in the class!). See info at the bottom on where to get one.
I'll walk you through the brewing process and recipes in real time. If you'd rather watch first then make later (or are unable to source a SCOBY before the class), that's fine too! 👌🏻 You'll receive a digital copy of the recipes with instructions (check your junk mail if you cannot find it). You'll be e-mailed a Zoom link with the recipes.
Come brighten up your lockdown & learn a homestead skill that's good for your guts, your wallet, and the planet. PJs welcomed, pets welcomed, kids welcomed! 🤗 See you there! 👋🏻
OBTAINING A SCOBY
- Be sure to order a FRESH (not dehydrated) SCOBY
- Once you have a SCOBY, do NOT refrigerate it!
- Source through friends: If you have a friend or neighbour with an active (not newly started) batch of kombucha, ask if they have a SCOBY to spare. Make sure they give you at 1 cup of "starter" liquid with the SCOBY.
- Australia-wide: you can order SCOBYs affordably. Olivers sells them for $9 + free shipping, or try from eBay, Etsy, The Fermentary, NourishmeOrganics, Karl Kombucha, Fern & Lily.
- Globally: Google "SCOBY" and your city name - there are online shops selling them in almost every country.
WHERE TO FIND BOTTLES & JARS
- You can use any glass jar that is 1L or bigger. A jar is good to start with (rather than a dispenser) if you're unsure about going all in on 'booch brewing!
- If you want to make kombucha "on tap", you can purchase a drink dispenser instead. Look for a glass drink dispenser that has a plastic (non-metal) valve/spigot. Shops like Myer, eBay, Kitchen Warehouse, Kogan, Victoria's Basement etc sell these.
- Swing-top glass bottles can be purchased online on the same sites listed above.
For a faster checkout